Stress is something that we all encounter in our lives. Some of us are more prone to it than others depending on our personalities. I tend to stress quite a bit, so I’ve got my favorite go-to’s for when I start to feel overwhelmed:
- Lavender bubble bath. Hop in the tub and soak up the relaxation that a hot bath and calming lavender can offer you. Let the stress melt away!
- Dance. I love a good Zumba class, the kind where I leave looking like I stepped out of a shower. However, sometimes my stress doesn’t coincide with my class so I’ve been known to turn up the music and break it down in my family room!
- Hot tea. My favorite is Tazo Zen with a little honey. Although the green tea does have caffeine, something about it calms me immediately. Maybe it’s the name?
- Bubble wrap. I know it sounds weird, but there is just something therapeutic about snapping those plastic bubbles. Pop it with your fingers or your toes to release the tension!
- Meditation. I like to meditate on my favorite scriptures that talk of peace and hope. Some references are: Isaiah 54:10, Matthew 11:28-30, John 16:33, Romans 15:3, and Philippians 4:6-7.
- Calming music. There’s just something about Mazzy Star and Norah Jones that immediately calms me down. Find a song or album that soothes you, turn it on, and mellow out.
- Stretching. When you stress out, your muscles start to tighten up. It helps to lengthen them with simple stretches or yoga postures.
- Deep breathing. This is one that we know, but we rarely engage in. If you feel the stress coming on and don’t have much time to do anything about it, take a few seconds to breathe deeply, in through the nose, out through the mouth 3 times.
- Positive self-talk. Sometimes it helps to just remind yourself that you will make it through this and you can handle it. Remind yourself of other stressful things that you have overcome. Remember, “This too shall pass.”
- Playdough. Who doesn’t love this stuff? I love playing with Playdough when I’m stressed out. It has an immediate calming effect. It’s something I use with my clients as well. They tend to open up more when given some Playdough to work with.
These are just a few, cheap ways I conquer stress in my life. Of course, massages are my number one, but unfortunately they’re too expensive to get every time I stress! What are your favorite ways to handle the stress in your life?